Tuesday 19 August 2008

PLEASE, ARTHUR! WHAT IS 'VOGUEING'?


Dear Arthur,

Since I came out recently I have learned so many new expressions and examples of gay slang but I heard someone talking about
vogueing
. Please, can you explain what this is? (Henry, Bonn)


And a great big hello to Bonn! Honestly, LG's fame is spreading further all the time.

Well, Freddie, you've certainly put yours truly on the spot 'cos I've had to turn to my friend, Stanley, who knows about all these pop urban chiccy things.

Now, from what's he told me vogueing is, and I quote, 'a fusion of catwalk camp, fashionista fawning and trad drag strut all got up together in elaborate routines (practiced mainly by a bunch of slags and drags in the US)'. Stan assures me that it's now reached such a level of sophistication and competitiveness there are calls for it to be recognised as an Olympic sport with points for acrobatics, gymnastics and Brazilian capoeira (I'm sure that's what he picked up in Gran Canaria!).

Anyway, I think I've managed to dig out a clip which you can see below. Yes, it's very Grace Jones, very Madonna, but not my cup of tea, dear. I'll stick to dancing the Gay Gordons with Boris down at the White Swan if it's all the same to you, Henry.



1 comment:

Chameo said...

Interesting, i say work it men work it till the sun shines. Speaking of gay matters i have a blog that i started 5 days ago. Would you mind posting on it? I'm all for gay rights.